Thursday, August 20, 2009

Teaching- response to Mr. Winkle Wakes

The You Tube video Mr. Winkle Wakes seemed to have a very interesting view point on technology in the classroom. I did not necessarily agree with the message it sent because many schools are transitioning to the usage of new technology at this moment. I do agree that it has taken too long and it makes me curious as to why? There are theories that because schools don't receive enough federal funding, the import of technology has been put on a back burner for classrooms and teachers. It has also been said that because parents have so much control of the curriculum and because they are not comfortable with new aged technology, the importance of having it in the classroom is minuscule.

I am not sure that I agree with either of these theories, but I do understand that only recently have public schools begun instilling smart boards into their classrooms. Administrators are finally forced to educate their personnel on how to use this new technology and integrate it into the curriculum. Mr. Winkle obviously felt comfortable with the classroom because of its familiarity to how things used to be before technology, but I think the video wants us to ask ourselves if we would and should feel the same way.

I do not feel the same but I know my father would. He has never had experience typing on a word processor or navigating a web page until this past year. Taking online courses, he is being forced to communicate and learn this technology. With a man who is very set in his ways, to me, this is what it would have been like teaching Mr. Winkle! But as confused as Mr. Winkle and my dad once were, my dad has made the effort- catching on quicker than expected. He is not as uncomfortable with the Internet or creating Word Documents as he used to be and has gained confidence about himself. This tells me something more about technology in the classrooms. If my father (who hates trying anything new!) can learn and adapt to new technology, than yes it is necessary to implement it with our youth.

4 comments:

  1. Do you think installing a SMARTBoard in a classroom will revolutionize education?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know it will for a fact. Classrooms are being fitted for these now, and the feedback from the teachers is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew said "revolutionize". Do you really think SMARTBoards will do that? What led your father try new things? The answer to that may be what revolutionizes the classroom.

    You know who Matthew is, tight?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think Smartboards are...well, smart! They are a wonderful tool for teachers and I believe one of the 1st forms of newer technology that will help teachers learn to integrate more of the internet and other technology.

    My father teaches horticulture at Augusta-Evans School. He is becoming Career-Tech Certified through Athens State online. He is not one for trying new things, but this was mandatory for his job. He is learning to love Windows and the internet. (I'm not going to introduce Mac to him until he's ready.)

    Matthew Needleman is the founder of Open Court Resources.com. Do you know him? ;)

    ReplyDelete